Skip to main content

Enterprise Applications Are Not User-centered

Did I get your attention? Today in our BA/UX meeting our new, very consumer-oriented UX person asked why he is sent to our business representatives to get answers instead of having access to users. It made me realize how different our process in creating enterprise applications is from the process recommended in UX consumer-driven design

Don't get me wrong. Our employees do the work and the applications need to be designed to support them. But the process to complete the work takes center stage. In the enterprise you don't get to allow employees to define the process they would prefer to follow or even maybe currently follow to design a new application or update an old one. There are far more important things that matter to business such as adhering to government compliance and regulations and performing tasks expediently in a predetermined order or process.

Many large and international companies have a group that determines the processes that must be followed by employees all over the enterprise and adhering to that process is closely measured. If you were to allow employees to determine the process to be followed, the first casualty would be company data, the second would be your customers.

This isn't to say that users shouldn't be listened to when it comes to process. They're the first ones to tell us when something is broken or won't work for them. In my company process changes are taken out to the field to make sure the will work. But I'm sure that doesn't happen in all companies and especially when it comes to new government regulations.

UX's responsibility is to design applications that follow business processes. A well designed application keeps users in the system and makes them successful both to themselves and for the company.My goal as a UXer is to give my user a good day at work while creating value for the company.

I rely heavily on my business analyst to ask the right questions about what the expected process is. Then we go out and we ask users what does that process look like in real life. We look for workarounds and pain points where the current business process doesn't work. I look for places where our employee's current tools do and don't work, where they have improvised and with what. Business and our process group determines why process isn't working for various branches and what should be done for those issues. Working with business analysts and developers, I figure out what changes to the current or new application should be made based on those process changes.

I still do the other work that consumer-side UXers do to understand my users and integrate it into my design: user research, personas, prototyping, wire framing, usability testing, SUS surveys, focus groups, and work flows, etc. My design must support how users think about their work and how they use technology. A good design means that our training department is training our process, not the tool that has been created to fulfill that process.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Is It Time to Leave Your Current (UX) Job?

Resign photo created by pressfoto - www.freepik.com I’ve been doing the job of lead for almost 3 years now. Like most companies, mine doesn’t really teach you anything about how to manage. So, I found and just finished this great book, The Successful Manager by James Potter and Mike Kavanagh.   While the book was really valuable from a management standpoint, to me the most impactful part of the book was Chapter 13: Determining If It Is Time to Leave . I wished I’d had access to this advice long ago when I first started working. My work journey would have been much different. So here’s the authors’ advice, ask yourself 5 questions about your current job: Do I enjoy the work itself? Do I like the people? Am I fairly/generously paid? Is it meeting my professional development needs? Do I have work-life balance? If you answer yes to 4 - 5 of these questions, then you’re in great shape.  If you only answer yes to 3 of these, then it’s time to start putting feelers out, i.e., you should be l

Stop Using Sketch for UI Design & Learn Basic HTML, CSS and JQuery

Lately I've been loaned out to another group at my company, but not just to another group. I'm having to work with a third-party consultancy helping with a consumer facing application. They had already been working on the project for over a year when I came on board. Because the consultancy's design group was lead by visual designers and they didn't ask our EUX group about our process and tools, I've been forced into using Sketch and all of its accouterments. Sketch is THE most miserable software I have ever used for enterprise UI design, followed by Abstract the version control I was forced into. I happen to be heavy-fingered on the mouse. Because of it, layers unknowingly move around on me constantly. Even when I'm aware, it can happen and I'm trying hard not let it happen. I screwed things up in a master library file royally. But I wasn't alone. 3 of the other 4 designers have done the same. Sketch is probably quite fine for small consumer produc

Mac vs. Windows: Should You Really Be Using a Mac for Design?

There's this thing about the design community, especially visual designers. They generally prefer to use a Mac for design work. I get it. The first time I saw my company's website on a Mac using Netscape, "Wow!"  I've always been a Windows girl, even for design work. I live in the Seattle area. What do you expect? But seriously, there's more to it than that. My first experience with Mac versus Windows was when I was working as an office administrator in a small business with an open office and no conference room environment. My boss, the owner of the business, met multiple times with a designer to create the logo for the company and I always overheard the meeting conversations. My boss kept telling the designer that when he sent over his mocks and she looked at them on her (Windows) computer, the colors were different than when the designer showed her his work (on his Mac). The designer was forced multiple times to look at her computer screen at the color bein