Skip to main content

What Is Enterprise UX? - Part 1

Enterprise UX. Most UXers have no idea another whole field of UX exists. Nor do most the UX gurus. Enterprise UX is where you want to be if you really want a challenge. Why?


Enterprise UX is the design of usually proprietary internal applications that run businesses — complex businesses. Those applications handle a LOT of data. Not only does it have to be entered into the system, but it has to be displayed, associated from one thing to another and then reported on. Complex reference data is created based on customers, pricing, costs and operating procedures. Processes and production levels are observed, reported and commented on. But, there is never one standard process, because sales will always sell something unexpected and government compliance regulations must be applied. Governmental and other forms have to be created and sent. Communications have to be enacted with customers, governments, service providers and data must be provided to them all.

A large intentional company multiplies that complexity by additional languages and governmental regulation and local laws. And that's just supporting the actual work of the company. Add on top of the inner workings of the company, too.

And, there are people who sit at a computer all day doing part of this work. If the company has been around for a while, they're working in everything from COBOL blue screens to the latest technologies. Our job is to make them as successful and performant as possible. Yes, it's about creating human performance.

While I want employees to have a good experience with my work, my goal is not to create a "delightful" experience, nor to convince someone to buy something. My job is to make the work as easy as possible so our employees can do their work as quickly and accurately as possible. I'm trying to create more production for the company. This means having a much greater understanding of our employees, their technical, psychological and physical abilities and having a really good understanding of psychological and physiological tenets as applied to UI design.

The challenges to this work are incredibly numerous:
  • crazy business rules
  • dealing with more data than in your email box on a single screen
  • lack of documented enterprise UI patterns — we're always having to modify B2C patterns to handle a lot more data
  • multiple technologies which create inconsistent interactions across them
  • inconsistent technical patterns that create our inability to create consistent interactions
  • lack of access to employees to do user research and usability testing
  • lack of access to customers to do user research and usability testing
  • lack of understanding by just about everyone but the UX department that our job is more than just making the UI look pretty
  • managers, business owners and project teams who all have opinions on design
  • agile environments that don't give us time to do user research
  • being spread across more than one project at a time.
How do you work in this world? It's crazy, But if you like to problem solve and you work in enterprise design, customer-facing UX will soon look very, very boring.

For all you other enterprise UXers out there, what do you think? Have I described it accurately?

What is Enterprise UX? - Part 2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Is It Time to Leave Your Current (UX) Job?

Resign photo created by pressfoto - www.freepik.com I’ve been doing the job of lead for almost 3 years now. Like most companies, mine doesn’t really teach you anything about how to manage. So, I found and just finished this great book, The Successful Manager by James Potter and Mike Kavanagh.   While the book was really valuable from a management standpoint, to me the most impactful part of the book was Chapter 13: Determining If It Is Time to Leave . I wished I’d had access to this advice long ago when I first started working. My work journey would have been much different. So here’s the authors’ advice, ask yourself 5 questions about your current job: Do I enjoy the work itself? Do I like the people? Am I fairly/generously paid? Is it meeting my professional development needs? Do I have work-life balance? If you answer yes to 4 - 5 of these questions, then you’re in great shape.  If you only answer yes to 3 of these, then it’s time to start putting feelers out, i.e., you should be l

Stop Using Sketch for UI Design & Learn Basic HTML, CSS and JQuery

Lately I've been loaned out to another group at my company, but not just to another group. I'm having to work with a third-party consultancy helping with a consumer facing application. They had already been working on the project for over a year when I came on board. Because the consultancy's design group was lead by visual designers and they didn't ask our EUX group about our process and tools, I've been forced into using Sketch and all of its accouterments. Sketch is THE most miserable software I have ever used for enterprise UI design, followed by Abstract the version control I was forced into. I happen to be heavy-fingered on the mouse. Because of it, layers unknowingly move around on me constantly. Even when I'm aware, it can happen and I'm trying hard not let it happen. I screwed things up in a master library file royally. But I wasn't alone. 3 of the other 4 designers have done the same. Sketch is probably quite fine for small consumer produc

Mac vs. Windows: Should You Really Be Using a Mac for Design?

There's this thing about the design community, especially visual designers. They generally prefer to use a Mac for design work. I get it. The first time I saw my company's website on a Mac using Netscape, "Wow!"  I've always been a Windows girl, even for design work. I live in the Seattle area. What do you expect? But seriously, there's more to it than that. My first experience with Mac versus Windows was when I was working as an office administrator in a small business with an open office and no conference room environment. My boss, the owner of the business, met multiple times with a designer to create the logo for the company and I always overheard the meeting conversations. My boss kept telling the designer that when he sent over his mocks and she looked at them on her (Windows) computer, the colors were different than when the designer showed her his work (on his Mac). The designer was forced multiple times to look at her computer screen at the color bein