Skip to main content

"You're Not the User!"

It's the battle cry of all UXers: "You are not the user!" I couldn't possibly count the number of times the UXers at my company have sat around the table complaining about someone who blatantly considered themselves the user and they were to us soooo obviously not the user. Why didn't they see it?

One time while I conducted a design workshop with my team. As part of my initial presentation, I had a slide that was that single statement: Remember, you are not the user.

I had a manager pipe up, "But John is a user!" John was one of our business representatives. "He's been doing the job for years." I had to back pedal. You can't not recognize someone's experience especially when they're in upper management.

This was my first realization that people don't take our battle cry very well, especially in the enterprise world. Many people who work in management have come up from our branches. Even the CEO at my company started out as a messenger at a local branch. Whether we realize it or not we really come off as being rather rude. And I can cry, "You're not the user" to developers til I'm blue in the face and it will make little difference.

Then a couple years back I went to Usability Day at the UW. Jason Civjan gave a great speech about loving your process, not your product. He talked for a couple minutes about how important objectivity is to UX and I had an ah-ha moment. That's what "You're not the user" is all about. We're trying to tell people to be objective, to take themselves out of the equation.

As UXers we need to stop, just stop, using the phrase. It alienates the people with whom we are trying to develop relationships. Instead:

  • Make "We need to be objective!" your battle cry.
  • Explain to your team why being objective is so important. 

Consider it an opportunity to educate your colleagues more about UX, about how our biases can make our applications less effective, less able to support our employees' tasks and process and in the long run costs the company money.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Is It Time to Leave Your Current (UX) Job?

Resign photo created by pressfoto - www.freepik.com I’ve been doing the job of lead for almost 3 years now. Like most companies, mine doesn’t really teach you anything about how to manage. So, I found and just finished this great book, The Successful Manager by James Potter and Mike Kavanagh.   While the book was really valuable from a management standpoint, to me the most impactful part of the book was Chapter 13: Determining If It Is Time to Leave . I wished I’d had access to this advice long ago when I first started working. My work journey would have been much different. So here’s the authors’ advice, ask yourself 5 questions about your current job: Do I enjoy the work itself? Do I like the people? Am I fairly/generously paid? Is it meeting my professional development needs? Do I have work-life balance? If you answer yes to 4 - 5 of these questions, then you’re in great shape.  If you only answer yes to 3 of these, then it’s time to start putting feelers out, i.e., you should be l

Stop Using Sketch for UI Design & Learn Basic HTML, CSS and JQuery

Lately I've been loaned out to another group at my company, but not just to another group. I'm having to work with a third-party consultancy helping with a consumer facing application. They had already been working on the project for over a year when I came on board. Because the consultancy's design group was lead by visual designers and they didn't ask our EUX group about our process and tools, I've been forced into using Sketch and all of its accouterments. Sketch is THE most miserable software I have ever used for enterprise UI design, followed by Abstract the version control I was forced into. I happen to be heavy-fingered on the mouse. Because of it, layers unknowingly move around on me constantly. Even when I'm aware, it can happen and I'm trying hard not let it happen. I screwed things up in a master library file royally. But I wasn't alone. 3 of the other 4 designers have done the same. Sketch is probably quite fine for small consumer produc

Mac vs. Windows: Should You Really Be Using a Mac for Design?

There's this thing about the design community, especially visual designers. They generally prefer to use a Mac for design work. I get it. The first time I saw my company's website on a Mac using Netscape, "Wow!"  I've always been a Windows girl, even for design work. I live in the Seattle area. What do you expect? But seriously, there's more to it than that. My first experience with Mac versus Windows was when I was working as an office administrator in a small business with an open office and no conference room environment. My boss, the owner of the business, met multiple times with a designer to create the logo for the company and I always overheard the meeting conversations. My boss kept telling the designer that when he sent over his mocks and she looked at them on her (Windows) computer, the colors were different than when the designer showed her his work (on his Mac). The designer was forced multiple times to look at her computer screen at the color bein