Skip to main content

How UX Creates Business Value in the Enterprise

My company is a bottom-up UX company. We don’t have an upper UX manager, so we ourselves have to evangelize UX up to the top. In my group, I was the only UX designer for several years. And then there was two. As the lead I wanted to give our small but growing team some goals. As we talked, we realized that part of the problem we have is that we don’t know how to talk about ourselves to business in a language they understand. We wanted to create an elevator sales pitch for talking to executives. But really we hadn’t really ever listed out what UX can do for the business.

I started by researching. We do know what we do from a business perspective, but how often do you sit down and really think about it or name it. I had most of them on my list, but have you ever thought part of your work limits company liability?  (Research is good.)

So here is the statement that I came up with about how UX or good design creates business value as a starting place. Why good design? Because that is our ending product, at least that’s how business sees us. It also allows us to talk about where good design comes from and what bad design is.

The end result of the work that an enterprise UX designer does, is the creation of well-thought-out and tested visual and interaction design, or good design, of the enterprise’s internal applications. This work creates value for the company by:

  • Increasing productivity
    • Good design means employees spend less time completing tasks.
    • Good design allows employees to make good decisions for the business.
  • Increasing job satisfaction
    • Good design improves employee morale and decreases turnover.
      • Employees want to be productive. A good day is when they’ve completed their work without any issues.
      • Reports of employees happy with a project team's products incentivize them.
    • Good design tells a company's employees their time and commitment is valued by the company.
  • Increasing ease of learning
    • Good design means employees find the company's applications intuitive.
    • Good design means employees want to use and adopt the company's applications instead of using workarounds outside of the internal system.
    • Good design reduces support calls.
  • Reducing training and documentation
    • Good design is tailored to our users’ understanding of the industry and their processes and tasks.
    • Good design simplifies complex tasks and data.
  • Reducing company liability
    • Good design reduces the chance of human error which helps to avoid potentially serious events.
    • Good design keeps our employees in our system and so does our data.
  • Increasing company sales
    • Increased productivity means increased capacity. Employees can do more business.
    • Good design is shown off to potential customers because employees are proud of their systems.
    • Good design makes employees less stressed, so their interactions with customers are better.
    • Good design creates more accuracy ultimately leading to more customer loyalty because employees are doing a good job for the customers.
  • Reduces application development time and costs
    • Informed design reduces rework during and after the project is completed.
    • UX research helps to eliminate unnecessary features in projects.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Is It Time to Leave Your Current (UX) Job?

Resign photo created by pressfoto - www.freepik.com I’ve been doing the job of lead for almost 3 years now. Like most companies, mine doesn’t really teach you anything about how to manage. So, I found and just finished this great book, The Successful Manager by James Potter and Mike Kavanagh.   While the book was really valuable from a management standpoint, to me the most impactful part of the book was Chapter 13: Determining If It Is Time to Leave . I wished I’d had access to this advice long ago when I first started working. My work journey would have been much different. So here’s the authors’ advice, ask yourself 5 questions about your current job: Do I enjoy the work itself? Do I like the people? Am I fairly/generously paid? Is it meeting my professional development needs? Do I have work-life balance? If you answer yes to 4 - 5 of these questions, then you’re in great shape.  If you only answer yes to 3 of these, then it’s time to start putting feelers out, i.e., you should be l

Mac vs. Windows: Should You Really Be Using a Mac for Design?

There's this thing about the design community, especially visual designers. They generally prefer to use a Mac for design work. I get it. The first time I saw my company's website on a Mac using Netscape, "Wow!"  I've always been a Windows girl, even for design work. I live in the Seattle area. What do you expect? But seriously, there's more to it than that. My first experience with Mac versus Windows was when I was working as an office administrator in a small business with an open office and no conference room environment. My boss, the owner of the business, met multiple times with a designer to create the logo for the company and I always overheard the meeting conversations. My boss kept telling the designer that when he sent over his mocks and she looked at them on her (Windows) computer, the colors were different than when the designer showed her his work (on his Mac). The designer was forced multiple times to look at her computer screen at the color bein

Stop Using Sketch for UI Design & Learn Basic HTML, CSS and JQuery

Lately I've been loaned out to another group at my company, but not just to another group. I'm having to work with a third-party consultancy helping with a consumer facing application. They had already been working on the project for over a year when I came on board. Because the consultancy's design group was lead by visual designers and they didn't ask our EUX group about our process and tools, I've been forced into using Sketch and all of its accouterments. Sketch is THE most miserable software I have ever used for enterprise UI design, followed by Abstract the version control I was forced into. I happen to be heavy-fingered on the mouse. Because of it, layers unknowingly move around on me constantly. Even when I'm aware, it can happen and I'm trying hard not let it happen. I screwed things up in a master library file royally. But I wasn't alone. 3 of the other 4 designers have done the same. Sketch is probably quite fine for small consumer produc